Deafness does not only affect the person
with hearing loss, but also every person or institution he/she comes into
· School and Tertiary Institutions
· General Public
· Emergency Services
Not all people experience deafness in the same way. The
following factors influence the functioning of a person with hearing loss:
1. Onset of deafness.
2. Cause of deafness.
3. Degree of hearing loss.
4. Time of identification/stimulation/treatment.
5. Support and assistance of family - presence of additional/second disability.
6. General condition of health.
7. Socio-economic circumstances.
PS: Do you want to learn sign language?
Download SignGenius now.
The above determines the following:
1. The communication method that the individual will prefer.
2. The education method best suited to the needs of the person.
3. The assertive devices the person may need and be able to afford.
4. The career the person may (be able to) follow.
5. Socialization within society.
6. The individual's acceptance of and adjustment to the hearing loss.