1. Finger Spelling in Sign Language is the
way in which the 26 letters of the alphabet are made on the hands, e.g.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z.
2. Finger Spelling is used to spell names
of people (especially in introductions), names of places and concepts
and/or words that one may not have signs for or one has forgotten.
3. Finger Spelling is not Sign Language
in itself. It is a technique used to code switch, that is when you
finger spell a concept in English, you represent the written English word
in space at that moment.
4. Finger Spelling is limited to people (deaf
or hearing) that have been exposed to written English or any other spoken
5. On the other hand Sign Language, as the
language of Deaf people, can be used to communicate with any Deaf person
provided that such a person interacts with and is a member of a Deaf community.
PS: Do you want to learn sign language?
Download SignGenius now.